[Corpora-List] EC-JRC - post-doc researchers - Call for Expressions of Interest

Ralf Steinberger ralf.steinberger at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jan 30 13:45:48 UTC 2013

This is to inform the members of this list that a call for expressions of
interest for contract agents (post-doc researchers) to work at the European
Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) has just opened. You find the text
and information on the application procedure at:

http://europa.eu/epso/apply/jobs/cast/2013/cast_jrc/index_en.htm

The call includes a very wide range of subject areas, covering also
computational linguistics.

DEADLINE: The call will close at 12:00 (CET) on 1 March 2013.

All necessary information can be found at that web page, but here are a few
explanatory words:

This is not an advertisement for a job opening! Instead, the profiles of
applicants who successfully pass this selection procedure will be entered
into a database of scientists that _can_ be hired to work at the JRC for a
fixed-term contract within a period of up to three years after entering the
database. The JRC can only fill positions of contractual agents with persons
whose profiles made it into the database.

NATIONALITY: The call is open for citizens of a Member State of the European
Union or of one of the associated countries to the 7th Research Framework
Programme (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Faroe Islands, Iceland,
Israel, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, Republic of Moldova, Switzerland,
the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Serbia, Turkey).

BACKGROUND ON OUR TEXT MINING WORK: The OPTIMA group at the Joint Research
Centre (JRC) in Ispra, Italy, develops complex, highly multilingual (tens of
languages) Language Technology applications applied to online media,
including both traditional and social media. Our flagship product is the
Europe Media Monitor (EMM) <http://emm.newsbrief.eu/overview.html>  family
of applications, which includes NewsExplorer <http://emm.newsexplorer.eu/> ,
NewsBrief <http://emm.newsbrief.eu/> , the Medical Information System
MedISys <http://medisys.newsbrief.eu/>  and EMM-Labs
<http://emm-labs.jrc.it/>  and which processes a daily average of 175,000
news articles per day in up to 73 languages. We have developed and we use a
range of text mining applications, including clustering and categorisation;
information extraction and disambiguation (persons, organisations,
locations, quotations; event scenario template filling); name variant
matching; topic detection and tracking, including across languages;
co-reference resolution; sentiment analysis/opinion mining; multi-document
summarisation; social network generation; statistical machine translation.
We have also released various large-scale multilingual linguistic resources
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=61> , including JRC-Acquis
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=198> , DGT-Translation Memory
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=197> , ECDC-Translation Memory
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=782> , DGT-Acquis
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=783>  and the JRC EuroVoc Indexer
JEX <http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php?id=60> .

Ralf Steinberger <http://langtech.jrc.ec.europa.eu/RS.html>
European Commission - Joint Research Centre (JRC)
<http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/jrc/index.cfm>
IPSC <http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/>  - GlobeSec
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/?id=40>  - OPTIMA
<http://ipsc.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php/178/0/>  (OPensource Text