[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Fri Mar 1 09:34:59 UTC 2013

On 28 Feb 2013, at 23:32, "Otto Lassen" <otto at lassen.mail.dk> wrote:

> Excuse, I wrote “figh” – wrong for “fiqh” which is in Oxford English Dictionary.

Still drawn to that Urban Dictionary entry. :-)

> Eric Atwell has found that the word Tajweed has been “left out” of most British English
> dictionaries and BNC. But it is in encyclopædia Britannica spelt “tajwid”.

It's also in WikiPedia as the same word.

> It seems to me that his
> problem is either the distinction between “english dictionary” and “english encyclopedia”
> or that too few in Britain know and use the word “tajweed” and similar words.

Or that few people in Britain need the word, at most 5% according the 2011 Census result quoted in the original message. We can reflect that corpus, in the technical senses we use it, isn't that common in everyday parlance either.

That tajweed/tajwid isn't listed in the OED might be an oversight but its compilation rules, as a "dictionary of historical English usage," would suggest that the term hasn't yet reached a tipping point where it would be considered for inclusion.

In a moment of crude Googleology I searched for a similarly technical word from, according to the same Census results, the majority religion in the UK as a comparison. Whereas Tajwid resulted in 1,770,000 hits "sublate"(*) only gets 41,000; intriguingly the many of the first 100 are to dictionary definitions!

(*) Used in a popular level text written by Keith Ward, Regius professor emeritus of Divinity at Oxford.

Tajwid may deserve to be in English dictionaries but I still maintain that, if it does, similar technical/theological words from all religions should automatically be included.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!