[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Otto Lassen otto at lassen.mail.dk
Fri Mar 1 20:20:11 UTC 2013

Eric Atwell is the radar. He wrote:
"Can anyone point me at research on vocabulary related to Islam,
and how it figures in British dictionaries and corpora?"
".. though "Tajweed" is a term understood by
most British muslims (2.7 million or 5% of the UK population according
to UK Census 2011)".. " "Tajweed" is also not found in the 100-million-word
British
National Corpus" .
I used your argument against me against Eric Atwell.
You write: "I don't know what you mean by ‘Islamic words’". Ask Eric Atwell.
For him
"Tajweed" is an islamic word: "refers to the rules governing pronunciation
during
recitation of the Qur'an" and "understood by most British muslims" (and
apparently
not by the 95% non-muslims).
What you have not grasped is that the world is bigger than an english
dictionary.
There are too many words (and their concepts) in the world from science,
ideologies,
religions, philosophy, social groups etc to be registered in an english
dictionary
though used by English speaking people.
What about trying to understand my words and the words af Eric Atwell. They
are all
in the dictionary.
Regards
Otto Lassen