[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Patrick Juola juola at mathcs.duq.edu
Fri Mar 1 21:01:58 UTC 2013

Well, it's apparent to me that, just as "haemodialysis" is a medical
word, "tyranosaurus" a biological one, and "ontological" a
philosophical one, "tajweed" is an Islamic one.  Almost all words that
have meanings have domains associated with them.

I would consider a dictionary or corpus that made a point of excluding
"ontological" to be a poor one.   I would equally consider the
deliberate exclusion of "tajweed" to be a poor decision.   Now, if
you're simply saying that "tajweed" isn't common enough to fit into a
limited-scope print dictionary that has to confine itself to the top
100,000 or so vocabulary words, that's one thing, but not especially
relevant to corpus linguistics.

If you're suggesting that it's not common enough to appear in English
discourse or corpora at all, ... well, I think that's what Eric is
disagreeing with, and he's suggesting that it's a lot more common than
the BNC suggests (which may be systematic bias on the part of the
BNC).  That's an interesting research topic.

If you're suggesting that "Islamic" is somehow incompatible with
English, then I specifically reject that suggestion.