[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Mon Mar 4 11:46:51 UTC 2013

On 28 Feb 2013, at 21:12, Patrick Juola <pjuola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2013, at 3:24 PM, "Otto Lassen" <otto at lassen.mail.dk> wrote:
>
>> If  "Tajweed" should be in English dictionaries and corpora then there
>> are more islam words which ought to be in English dictionaries and corpora.
>> E.g. qiyas - argument by analogy, not by aristote logic. And ijma, ijtihad, figh.
>> Does Eric Atwell want all islamic words to included in english?
>>

> Well, the point of dictionary is to be useful. If someone encounters the word "qiyas" and doesn't know what it means, where do you suggest they go?  After you've purged dictionaries of their cultural impurities, what's left beyond Beowulf?

It'll depend on the audience to which the dictionary is targeted. I would not expect to find that term or any of its theological mates listed in a beginners dictionary neither would I look for it in a dictionary of Sikh terms nor in a standard English dictionary either. Should a dictionary of /English/ include loanwords that are applicable to a minority part of the population? Using the original post 5% of the UK population might have a direct interest. That this individual word is not in the OED but its theological mates are is perhaps an oversight. But a sense of reality is necessary here … who are the dictionaries intended to be used by then we might have a starting point for discussion about which might be expected to include it.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!