[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 11:13:26 UTC 2013

#1 we cannot say that any word "ought to be in a corpus".

A reference corpus (which can never be *completely* comprehensive,

especially for a global language like English) contains the words

contained in the texts which were selected. Many texts will have

been omitted (for logistical reasons) or excluded (for various reasons,

including ideology or unintentional bias).

#2 we can discuss which words belong in a dictionary, and which

in an encyclopedia (if you accept that there is a difference).

#3 No dictionary contains all the words of a language. Lexicographers,

editors, and publishing houses are responsible for inclusion policies and decisions.

#4 'Where do you suggest they go?' - an encyclopedia, or in the modern era,

the internet.

#5 This is not about 'purging dictionaries of their cultural impurities'.

Such emotive attitudes are unhelpful and misleading.

best wishes

Ramesh Krishnamurthy