[Corpora-List] International Phonetic Alphabet transcription tool / software

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Wed Mar 6 09:10:19 UTC 2013

On 6 Mar 2013, at 08:33, Mario Crespo Miguel <mario.crespo at uca.es> wrote:

> In the research of phonetic dialectology it is extremely important to be able to differentiate between the different sounds pronounced by the subjects being studied and be able to transcribe them according to linguistic criteria. …

BBC Radio 4 broadcast a related item on the regional variation of family names this morning in its flagship news programme Today http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0hpv featuring Prof Carole Hough from Glasgow . Her own is pronounced "huff", at least that's her preference, but in its original area the usual pronunciation is closer to "how" and in Glasgow (especially on her own automated voicemail greeting from the university) it is "hock". Other examples presented were the brother and sister of Lord Neuberger (president of the UK Supreme Court) and Rabbi Julia Neuberger (participant in many other Radio 4 programmes) who each prefer a slightly different way of their single family name being said, and of author Anthony Powell  (pronounced Pole). And I was reminded of the difference between Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin D Roosevelt who as 6th/7th cousins and in-laws pronounced their names rather differently. For those who can access the Today audio the segment starts at 07:44 GMT (or 1:44 running time).

The mention of Powell was also fresh in my mind for the next news item (the death of Hugo Chazev) when one of the interviewees was introduced as "Col-in" but proved to be female---Colin is predominately (exclusively?) a male forename in Britain---and the remembrance of Co-lin Powell former US Secretary of State.

Affectation or regional variance, "you decide".

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!