[Corpora-List] "Tajweed", "kafir": 5-day Lexicom course, Sweden, June 2013

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Thu Mar 7 11:02:42 UTC 2013

On 7 Mar 2013, at 05:41, Adam Kilgarriff <adam at lexmasterclass.com> wrote:

> Otto and others,
>
>> so I wonder how the choice of including / excluding words is made
>
> if you are serious about it, come to the lexicom workshop where it is addressed thoroughly, by Michael Rundell, who has made thousands of these decisions, as chief editor for first Longman, now Macmillan dictionaries.

If that workshop is based on Rundell's and Atkins' book "the Oxford Guide to Practical Lexicogaphy" then I'm not convinced that it will address Otto's and others' question which is deeply rooted in philosophy (and in the specific case of the word(s) occasioning this thread theology) rather than technology. It may address the "why" of inclusion of terms from a carefully collated evidential corpus but not the fundamental issues.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!