[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Thu Mar 7 14:26:24 UTC 2013

As a creator of several corpora from http://corpus.byu.edu, I request that people cite the corpus itself (e.g. http://corpus.byu.edu/faq.asp#cite), but of course they are also welcome to cite one of the papers I've written describing the corpus (e.g. #12 COHA or #25 COCA or #35 CdE from http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/personal/vita.pdf).

Unfortunately, only a small portion of those who use the corpora seem to take the time to do this. For example, http://corpus.byu.edu/publicationSearch.asp lists 200+ articles from the past year, which have used the corpus data, but the actual number is probably 4 or 5 times that high. But at least it's a start...

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/
** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **