[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 23:32:27 UTC 2013

Hi, Morteza,

Certainly "cite" the corpus, as Adam suggests, but you should cite the
paper, too.  It's not relevant that you haven't quoted the paper about
the corpus in your paper--what is relevant is that you give your
reader the standard source for information about that corpus.

Best wishes,

Kev

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM, M. Rezaei <mrezaeis at mehr.sharif.ir> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Salam.
> Suppose I use a text corpus and I extract some statistical information from
> it or I train a POS tagger based on it. Well, I have used the corpus, but I
> have not directly used the paper which describes it i.e. I have not quoted a
> paragraph from the paper in my research. Is there any standard style for
> citing the corpus itself, as a data set? Is it a good idea to do so? What
> about the corpus authors, do they prefer users to cite their paper rather
> than the corpus itself?
> Looking forward to receiving your responses.
> Best Regards
> Morteza Rezaei

Kevin Bretonnel Cohen, PhD
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Computational Bioscience Program,
U. Colorado School of Medicine
303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
http://compbio.ucdenver.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen