[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:54:37 UTC 2013

Hi, Otto & All,

Otto said "Many words take on a life outside their original meaning :-)." I
would say rather: *All* words (potentially) take on a life .... I'm
referring, of course, to metaphor, that crucial motor for semantic change
(viz. polysemia).

Likewise, I fear I wasn't clear enough originally. My point was, for
specific lexemes, their inclusion or not is strictly a lexicographic
matter, which includes (or should include) many of the considerations put
forth here. HOWEVER, the lexicographer has the obligation to clearly state
their methodological bases for inclusion (or not), which should have a
minimal amount of subjectivity involved. E. g., in the case that started
this discussion,  it would be perfectly reasonable, perhaps even mandatory,
to include 'tajweed', overall a very rare word, in a dictionary of (esp.
the Muslim) religion, given its importance in that context, whether or not
it occurs frequently in the corpus under consideration. A good
lexicographer would recognize such cases and take appropriate action.

Jim

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Otto Lassen <otto at lassen.mail.dk> wrote:

>   Hi All
>
> On Friday, March 08, 2013 Jim Fidelholtz wrote
>
> So, although I've never used the word before this discussion, 'tajwid' is
> an English word. At least for now. Ask me again next year. Meanwhile, it
> probably does not belong in most dictonaries, at least not yet.
>

> I don’t think you (or most english speaking people) have used “kafir”
> neither or other words from the islamic vocabulary which are included in
> OED.
>
> You would not have included “kafir” in OED or what?
>
> I see only one reason for the inclusion: OED makes the decision from the
> meaning of the words and from their cultural and political importance to
> the english society. It seems to me that when the discussion focuses on the
> use of words it is not the number of the users which counts but the weight
> of the semantic of the words. This applies particularly to the type of
> words discussed here, words for religious phenomenons.
>
> Otto Lassen

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO