[Corpora-List] International Phonetic Alphabet transcription tool / software

Steve Cassidy steve.cassidy at mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 06:10:47 UTC 2013

Hi Mario,
  as others have said, ASR may not be suitable in general for this task as
you can't rely on its accuracy, especially with noisy signals or unknown
vocabularies.  There is really no substitute for manual transcription to
get an accurate phonetic transcript.

One possible shortcut though is forced alignment. This uses ASR technology
but takes as input an orthographic transcription of the recording. It uses
a dictionary to lookup alternate pronuncations of the orthography and then
tries to align this with the audio using the same kind of acoustic models
that an ASR system would use.  The results can be very good with the
advantage that you have a time-aligned transcription suitable for acoustic
research.

An easy to use system is MAUS from Florian Scheil in Munich:

http://www.bas.uni-muenchen.de/forschung/Verbmobil/VM14.7eng.html

MAUS has models trained for German, English, Islandic, Italian, Estonian
and Hungarian. THere is a web based interface where you can upload an audio
file and orthographic transcription and get a PRAAT text grid in return.

I hope this is useful.

Steve

On 6 March 2013 19:33, Mario Crespo Miguel <mario.crespo at uca.es> wrote:

>  Dear members of corporalist,
>
> In the research of phonetic dialectology it is extremely important to be
> able to differentiate between the different sounds pronounced by the
> subjects being studied and be able to transcribe them according to
> linguistic criteria. This task can be extremely exhausting and subjective
> for the researcher when carried out without any help.
>
> I wonder if you know a tool or software able to represent and analyze
> spectrograms of sounds pronounced and transcribe such sounds into the
> International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
>
> Mario Crespo

Department of Computing, Macquarie University
http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~cassidy/