[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Christian Pietsch chr.pietsch at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:32:31 UTC 2013

Dear Khalid,

thank you for the information. We agree on the need for globally
unique identifiers for reseach datasets. A very promising
cross-disciplinary ID that has emerged for this purpose is the DOI.
It uses the Handle system as its technical infrastructure, and
researchers are being trained to use DOIs for citing resources.

So why are you proposing a new ID specifically for linguistic
resources? The infrastructure for registering and resolving ISLRNs
does not exist, and why build a parallel infrastructure? Why train
researchers, librarians and other knowledge workers to recognize and
use yet another ID? The Language Archive <http://tla.mpi.nl/> has
decided to use the Handle system directly (without the DOI layer on
top of it). Why not join them?

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:38:04AM +0100, Khalid CHOUKRI wrote:
> We were about to announce an initiative to respond to such needs, I am happy to
> anticipate on our plans.
>
> almost two years ago, at the FlareNET meeting
> (http://www.flarenet.eu/sites/default/files/S1_Choukri_Position_Paper.pdf), I
> made a proposal on the assignment of Persistent and Unique identifiers to
> Language resources.
> The idea was to go beyond the current references via URls (or DOI) to ensure
> that we have a really permanent Identifier that would cover all existing data
> sets including those not publicly available  (or not available on Internet).

How does this go beyond DOIs? DOIs and Handles are permanent by
design.

Cheers,
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch · http://purl.org/net/pietsch
  LibTec · Library Technology and Knowledge Management