[Corpora-List] Corpora of patient and clinician narratives

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Mar 24 12:25:45 UTC 2013

We've thought about trying to use PatientsLikeMe text data from
https://www.patientslikeme.com/ for corpus linguistics research,
but I haven't figured out a simple way to extract a corpus
  - if anyone else out there has managed to do this, please let me know.

Sammy Danso here at Leeds U has a corpus of about 10,000 Verbal Autopsies
from a vitamin-A field trail in Ghana: English narrative recollections
of events leading up to a death of a baby and/or mother around childbirth.
After the death, a field worker went out to interview a near relative of
the deceased, and the interviews were sent back to clinicians at the
London School of Hygene and Tropical Medicine to analyse and decide
Cause of Death.  See our forthcoming paper:

Danso S et al. 2013. A Semantically Annotated Verbal Autopsy Corpus for
Automatic Analysis of Cause of Death. ICAME Journal of the International
Computer Archive of Modern English, vol. 37 (forthcoming)

Eric Atwell, School of Computing, Leeds University

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, pinar ozden wrote:

> Hi Phil,
> I don't know if PatientsLikeMe could be useful for
> you: https://www.patientslikeme.com/#
> It is a Web portal that allows patients to discuss/collaborate on their
> common diseases symptoms etc.
> You would still need to process it to make a corpus out of it (scraping the
> pages etc.), but as a result of your efforts you may acquire
> the conversational type of text that you require.
>
> Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want to talk more on
> this, preferably here: pinarwennerberg at gmail.com

> From: jannebj at iln.uio.no
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:35:25 +0000
> To: philgooch at gmail.com
> CC: corpora at uib.no; j.b.johannessen at iln.uio.no
> Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Corpora of patient and clinician narratives
>
> We're in the final round of ethical quality control now. I'll let you
> know!Janne
>

> 2013/3/21 Phil Gooch <philgooch at gmail.com>
>       Hi Janne
> Thanks - any corpora in any European language would be interesting for
> me at this point, I may be able to get it translated, or use existing
> NLP tools if available for that language.
>
> Best regards
>
> Phil
>

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Janne Bondi Johannessen
> <jannebj at iln.uio.no> wrote:
>       Phil, the Norwegian doctor-patient corpus is in the
>       Norwegian language, which may make it less interesting for
>       you? It will be available for research purposes. Janne
>

> 2013/3/19 Phil Gooch <philgooch at gmail.com>
>       Thanks Carmela and Janne for the info. Janne: is
>       your Norwegian corpus available for research
>       purposes? If so, could you provide details of how I
>       might obtain it?
> Many thanks
>
> Phil
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Janne Bondi Johannessen
> <jannebj at iln.uio.no> wrote:
>       Dear Phil.We have a Norwegian corpus of
>       doctor-patient conversations that is 1.5
>       million words and all the time increasing.
> Janne
>

> 2013/3/19 Phil Gooch <philgooch at gmail.com>
>       Hi all
> Does anyone know of any publicly available
> corpora (annotated or otherwise) of patient
> and/or clinician narratives? For example,
> reflective diaries, patient/therapist
> dialogues, psychiatric case histories?
>
> I have plenty of discharge summaries and
> progress reports from physical medicine, but
> these are written in a very 'medical model'
> and abbreviated way. I'm looking more at the
> 'narrative medicine', person-centred angle.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Phil

> --
> Janne Bondi Johannessen
> ProfessorThe Text Laboratory, ILN,
> University of Oslo
> Tel: +47 22 85 68 14, mob.: +47 928 966 34

> --
> Janne Bondi Johannessen
> ProfessorThe Text Laboratory, ILN,
> [...]

Eric Atwell, Associate Professor, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468
  WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nlp
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic