[Corpora-List] CLEF-ER challenge/workshop deadline extension

Johannes Hellrich johannes.hellrich at uni-jena.de
Sat May 4 17:33:23 UTC 2013

CALL FOR PAPERS / PARTICIPATION -- CLEF-ER 2013 Workshop (CLEF Conference)
Valencia, 23-26 Sep 2013
CLEF-ER 2013: Named Entity Recognition (NER) in parallel multilingual
biomedical corpora (aiming for terminology translation)

CALL FOR PAPERS
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
We are interested in papers describing challenge systems or related
research and position papers, tackling questions like:
- Can we build multilingual biomedical terminologies from parallel
biomedical corpora?
- How do we exploit machine translation methods to identify correspondences
in parallel corpora?
- Do we encounter the same semantic representation in different languages?
- Can we make use of crowd-sourcing solutions to produce comprehensive
terminological resources?
Please submit us an extended abstract (normally 2 pages) via EasyChair:
https://www.easychair.org/
conferences/?conf=clefer2013
Accepted abstracts will become part of the CLEF proceedings. The best
contribution wins a prize, which is the waiving of publication costs in an
open access journal!

CALL FOR CHALLENGE PARTICIPATION
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Objectives:
Multilingual identification of mentions of named entities (attribution of
CUIs) in corpora, where each corpus is either in English, French,
German, Spanish, and Dutch.  Currently patent texts, titles of
Medlineabstracts and
EMEA documents serve as parallel corpora.   The mention annotations will be
evaluated as part of the challenge and, in addition, the mention
annotations will be analysed to contribute to an augmented biomedical
terminological resource.

Task:
Participants produce mention annotations in a multilingual document where
the annotations make explicit reference to entities, which are specified
through a Concept Unique Identifier (CUI, from the UMLS). Challenge
participants should at least contribute one non-English annotated corpus
and have to register at the submission site (http://www.clefer
.org/access-content).

A number of resources are available too:
(1) a terminological resource (TR) containing English and non-English
concepts in combination with their CUIs,
(2) a selection of corpora in English, where the entity mentions have been
annotated automatically with their CUIs, and
(3) a selection of corpora in different languages other than English (i.e.,
de, fr, sp, nl) that have to be annotated with entity mentions and their
CUIs.

Note:
Each non-English corpus has a parallel English corpus. Not all languages (de,
fr, sp, nl) are available for each corpus.  Parallel corpora offer the
opportunity to use machine-translation or bilingual term identification
methods. The results will be presented on the CLEF-ER workshop, which is
part of the CLEF 2013 Conference, 23-26 September in Valencia, Spain. The
challenge is sponsored by the EU project “Mantra”. For more details on the
task please visit http://www.clefer.org/ or send an email to challenge@
clefer.org

TIME and PLACE
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
CLEF 2013 Conference, 23-26 September in Valencia, Spain.

TIMELINE
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
* 15-May : submission of extended abstracts ends, submission system for
challenge closes
* 31-May : review results & preliminary evaluation results released
* 15-Jun: submission of the final paper to the CLEF organisers
* 23-Sep: CLEF 2013 conference starts
* 26-Sep: CLEF 2013 ends

ORGANIZERS
* D. Rebholz-Schuhmann, F. Rinaldi, S. Clematide, Institute of
Computational Linguistics, Universität Zürich (Ch)
* Prof. U. Hahn, J. Hellrich, Julie Laboratory, Universität Jena (D)
* J. Kors, E. van Mulligen, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam (Nl
)
* D. Milward, I. Lewin, Linguamatics Ltd, Cambridge (UK)
* P. Daumke, M. Poprat, Averbis GmbH, Freiburg (D)
* J. McEntyre, S. Kafkas, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, Cambridge, U.K