[Corpora-List] Google Ngrams tool?

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Sun May 5 13:54:01 UTC 2013

>> Does anyone know of a tool, preferably a software package, which deals with Google ngrams taking dates into account? Goolge Ngram Viewer shows trends but does not allow for an analysis of, say, collocations of a certain word during a certain time-frame.

http://googlebooks.byu.edu/

This does collocates, and you can see the collocates in each time period. e.g.:

http://googlebooks.byu.edu/?b=x4&c=us&q=10283408

and even compare the collocates in two different periods, e.g.:

http://googlebooks.byu.edu/?b=x4&c=us&q=10283420

>> Also, any pointer to a publication by historians who utilized this resource (other than anecdotal examples in "culturomics" publications) would be much appreciated.

See http://googlebooks.byu.edu/compare-googleBooks.asp#x6

These are some "starter" examples of what can be done with the interface. In the next two weeks I'll be sending off a paper to a journal, which provides lots of culture-oriented searches from the Advanced/BYU Google Books interface.

MD

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/
** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **