[Corpora-List] Google Ngrams tool?

Joerg Tiedemann jorg.tiedemann at lingfil.uu.se
Mon May 6 12:54:52 UTC 2013

Interesting is also the distribution of "fuck" with a second peak in the
early 19th century.
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=fuck&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=
However, this is simply due to a simple problem with OCR (often referring
to "such" with a long s). So, be careful ...

Jörg

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Noam Ordan <noam.ordan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> Thanks a lot for the pointers, great work. I really liked the "gay"
> example, it seems that during the 19th century gay had sort of religious
> connotations, not least within the phrase "gay family". Things change.
>
> Any chance of putting up more languages? I assume you focus mostly on
> English (and some Spanish).
>
> Thanks again,
> Noam Ordan
>

>  From: Mark Davies <Mark_Davies at byu.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Google Ngrams tool?
>> To: Noam Ordan <noam.ordan at gmail.com>, "corpora at uib.no"
>>         <corpora at uib.no>

>> with Google ngrams taking dates into account? Goolge Ngram Viewer shows
>> trends but does not allow for an analysis of, say, collocations of a
>> certain word during a certain time-frame.
>>
>> http://googlebooks.byu.edu/
>>
>> This does collocates, and you can see the collocates in each time period.
>> e.g.:
>>
>> http://googlebooks.byu.edu/?b=x4&c=us&q=10283408
>>
>> and even compare the collocates in two different periods, e.g.:
>>
>> http://googlebooks.byu.edu/?b=x4&c=us&q=10283420

>> resource (other than anecdotal examples in "culturomics" publications)
>> would be much appreciated.
>>
>> See http://googlebooks.byu.edu/compare-googleBooks.asp#x6
>>
>> These are some "starter" examples of what can be done with the interface.
>> In the next two weeks I'll be sending off a paper to a journal, which
>> provides lots of culture-oriented searches from the Advanced/BYU Google
>> Books interface.
>>
>> MD

>> Mark Davies
>> Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
>> http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/
>> ** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
>> ** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
>> ** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **

 Jörg Tiedemann
jorg.tiedemann at lingfil.uu.se
 Dep. of Linguistics and Philology
http://stp.lingfil.uu.se/~joerg/
 Uppsala University                                  tel:  +46 (0)18 - 471
1412
 Box 635, SE-751 26 Uppsala/SWEDEN    fax: +46 (0)18 - 471 1094