[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 15:07:36 UTC 2013

Hi Chris
There is a fairly comprehensive corpus-driven account
of "V n into -ing" in Cobuild Grammar Patterns 1: VERBS
available at https://arts-ccr-002.bham.ac.uk/ccr/patgram/ch04.html#s17

The editors divided the verbs occurring in this pattern into 5 semantic groups:
1 The 'force' group
2 The 'trick' group
3 The 'charm' group
4 The 'spur' group
5 other verbs

I have myself casually noticed the increasing use of 'persuade sb into doing sth',
whereas my intuition suggests it used to be more frequently (if not exclusively)
used in the pattern 'persuade sb to do sth'...

hope this helps
best
Ramesh

---