[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Nov 20 14:46:57 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 7:58 AM, Jason Eisner wrote:
> But I suspect that those are not actually instances of the construction
> in question, but rather come from spurious examples like "drop it into
> boiling [water]," where "into" is a spatial preposition and "boiling" is
> an adjectival participle.  A few of the verbs could plausibly be used in
> both constructions, such as "guide."

That reminds me of the following example:

Evolution of 'be going to' as a marker of future tense:
● Originally expressing motion toward a goal: "She’s going to Boston."
● Adding a verb to qualify the motion: "She’s going to drive to Boston."
● Generalizing to an abstract goal: "She’s going to write a book."
● Simplifying and overgeneralizing: "She’s gonna have a baby."

Source:

Bybee, Joan, Revere Perkins, & William Pagliuca (1994) The Evolution
of Grammar: Tense, Aspect and Modality in the Languages of the World,
University of Chicago Press, Chicago.

John