[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

Oakey, David [ENGL] djoakey at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 20 14:43:21 UTC 2013

Hello Jason and Adam,

A list from a pedagogical perspective is in COBUILD Grammar Patterns 1. The  [V Object into V-ing] construction maps onto the grammar pattern V n into -ing:

https://arts-ccr-002.bham.ac.uk/ccr/patgram/ch04.html#s17

This page gives lists of verbs which fit this pattern - they are grouped into four principal senses: FORCE (e.g. force, bully, frighten), TRICK (trick, entrap, mislead), CHARM (charm, cajole, flatter) and SPUR  (spur, nudge, galvanize). The Objects are all human, and the Adjunct needs to be a prepositional phrase consisting of into and a non-finite -ing clause, and, as Jason points out, not all -ing forms following into begin non-finite clauses, e.g.

1)  his union plans to pursue similar lawsuits to force manufacturers into producing safer needles

2)  Conservatives are eager to force liberals into embarrassing votes

Example 1 is an instance of the construction/pattern, while 2 isn't.

Even when put appears to be used in this construction/pattern, as in 3 where into introduces a non-finite -ing clause, the Object isn't human, so put doesn't take on any of the force, trick, charm or spur meanings:

3)    When you put money into renovating your home

I couldn't find drop in COCA with a human Object followed by into introducing a non-finite -ing clause.

Best wishes,

David