[Corpora-List] Most common non-Romance, non-Germanic words in English

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 01:29:50 UTC 2014

Hi, Tristan,

One other suggestion, based on some research I did about 4 decades ago: the
dividing line for English between what I call 'familiar' (frequent) words
and 'unfamiliar' (infrequent) words seems to be about 5 occurrences per
million words of text, on average. Sometimes, for some words, this
frequency may drop as low as 1 per million (1/M). I used Thorndike & Lorge
(1945 or so) for frequency counts.

Jim

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO