[Corpora-List] Most common non-Romance, non-Germanic words in English

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 01:22:31 UTC 2014

Hi, Tristan,

OK on the source lg, although it might help if we knew what the purpose of
your list would be. I didn't have any illusions that you wanted *all* such
words, although you can see from other comments that there is a large
number of 'other' languages to pick your loanwords from, and I still
haven't seen any (even approximate) *number* of such borrowings--but you
would have to take (starting with the most frequent words) a rather large
list of words to even begin processing--using the various methods you and
others have suggested for winnowing down the list.

Unless, for example, you are interested in doing a similar study for
borrowings into Spanish, I don't think you can really find *any* English
borrowings originally from Nauatl that did not come via Spanish originally,
and this would eliminate really any words from this language, a result
which I would find unfortunate for any research I can imagine on borrowings
into English from (various) languages, even eliminating the ones you want
to eliminate. Btw, another problem you will find in this regard is
determining reasonably for less frequent (but still among the 'more
frequent', depending on how you define this) words exactly from what
language it was taken. Indeed, there are often clues in the phonological
development in English of the word as to what language it must have come
from (ie, via) originally, but at least sometimes, for Nauatl, some
speakers or varieties of English may have been in contact with speakers of
Nauatl, and the word may have been borrowed independently from more than
one language and/or at different times. Multilingualism is very complex, on
the one hand, and etymologists are known to commit (and perpetrate) errors,
on the other hand. This, of course, includes folk etymology, which is
rampant in, e. g., place names, among other things.

Also btw, the point of starting with an extremely large corpus (well over a
billion words) would be to try to minimize the effect which tends to
scramble words on the frequency list below, say, the first thousand [note:
even below about 100 you will find pretty large variation in positions of
words in the list each and every time you redo a count with new (even
comparable) data selected], by a fairly large number of positions (this is
why Carroll et al. factored in very importantly their measure of genre
distribution, so that among the very *last* words listed by frequency
(after all but a few tens of real hapax words, among the several tens of
thousands of hapax) are a few words which occur 2 or more times in the
whole corpus, but only in the genre [religion] with the fewest selections
taken in forming the corpus).

I'd be interested to hear more about your project, in any case.

Jim

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO