[Corpora-List] Categories of insults

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:30:05 UTC 2014

Hi, All,

You might try _Anatomy of the dirty joke_ (2 vols.) by Gershon Legman for a
thorough analysis of that topic. I don't remember if he gives (even
implicitly) a categorization of 'offensive language', but you'd certainly
get at least a lot of data. He collected another two volumes called
(anonymously) _The limerick_, with, as I recall, about a thousand entries
in each volume, of wildly varied quality,but, as limericks are wont to be,
almost all at least moderately offensive. Likewise, you might look through
the journal _Maledicta_ (started in the 70's) and other such journals, and
check out books or articles on 'taboo' and related terms. You should also
check out writings in the fields of Anthropology and Sociology on this and
related topics, as well as handbooks and other general works in Anth.,
Soc., Linguistics, etc.

Jim

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO