[Corpora-List] Categories of insults

Alexander Osherenko osherenko at gmx.de
Mon Apr 14 08:01:59 UTC 2014

In "Practical English Usage" (
https://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/global/grammar_vocabulary/practical_english_usage/),
Swan lists some 'taboo words'.
If you are looking for insult words, you can take these taboo words or you
can collect words with high negative meaning from different corpora of
affective words, for example, Whissell's Dictionary of Affective Language.
Such affective words are simultaneously insult words.

However, there are only few examples when insult words are used explicitly
in a NL text. Sally Planalp collects statistics of emotion word use that
confirms that there are only insignificant number of explicit cases where
emotion words are used in real NLP utterances to convey the emotional
meaning. They rather use implicit cues that is influenced by the context.

I would collect words in their NL context and consider approaches by Janyce
Wiebe. Here "Creating Subjective and Objective Sentence
Classifiers from Unannotated Texts"
http://people.cs.pitt.edu/~wiebe/pubs/papers/Temp/cicling05.pdf.

HTH
Alexander