[Corpora-List] Chinese spelling bakeoff

Yunqing Xia yqxia at tsinghua.edu.cn
Wed Apr 16 12:19:01 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

Your observation is interesting. There is indeed no 'spelling' in Chinese,
because Chinese characters are 'drawn', rather than 'spelled'. To me, the
term 'spelling' only applies to languages based on letters. But I believe
the Chinese researchers can understand what 'Chinese spelling error' means
though it is not appropriate.

Instead, I think 'typo' is an appropriate term for the so-called 'spelling
error' in Chinese. Typo represents an error in editing, which is output of
various input approaches. Typo has nothing to do with meaning, but I am not
sure whether spelling errors cover the meaning-level word misuse.

cheers,
Yunqing