[Corpora-List] learner corpora

Marcus Callies callies at uni-bremen.de
Thu Apr 24 14:07:24 UTC 2014

As a follow up to this thread, it seems to me that what is at issue
here is not necessarily the native vs. non-native distinction but
rather the difference between novice writers and expert writers. This
issue is frequently discussed in the literature on learner corpora
when it comes to the question of what is the appropriate
basis/benchmark of comparison. As for academic writing, many
native-speakers are 'learners', i.e. novice writers, just as the
non-native speakers are learning to write academic texts.

As for learner corpora of academic writing, here in Bremen we're
curently compiling a new Language-for-Specific-Purposes learner
corpus, the Corpus of Academic Learner English (CALE) for the study of
academic learner writing.

Please see

https://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/dujal.2.1.11cal/details

and

http://www.advanced-learner-varieties.info

We're using parts of the MICUSP and the BAWE (native-speaker novice
writers) for comparison to our learner data (non-native-speaker novice
writers).

Best wishes
Marcus Callies

Prof. Dr. Marcus Callies
Universität Bremen
FB 10 - Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften
English-Speaking Cultures - Arbeitsbereich Anglistik/Sprachwissenschaft
Bibliothekstraße, Gebäude GW 2, Büro A 3400
28359 Bremen
Tel.: +49-421-218-68150
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~callies/

http://www.learnercorpusassociation.org/