[Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus is

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Thu Jan 23 18:57:03 UTC 2014

Reading the first paper, I think the questions raised by Marc and his
colleagues and the data they collect are very valuable, particularly
about over-reliance on Kučera and Francis (1967). I just wrote last week
about the importance of sampling:

http://grieve-smith.com/blog/2014/01/estimating-universals-averages-and-percentages/

But their judgment of corpora as "bad" based on the correlation of their
word frequencies with reaction times seems circular. Why take Thorndike
and Lorge (1944) as the gold standard, and conclude that any deviance
from reaction time data is evidence of "poor quality"?

Brysbaert et al. chose one particular set of reaction times from the
Elexicon project (Balota et al. 2007) "because the effect of word
frequency is particularly strong in this task," but the effect of word
frequency in which corpus? How representative is the Elexicon data?
Specifically, how representative is it of the reaction times of people
who are most likely to be reading or hearing the texts in each corpus?

I agree with Ramesh that the problem of representativeness is a
difficult one, and that a truly representative corpus has not been made,
but not that it is impossible. Corpora are tools, and tools are never
"good" or "bad," they're just good or bad for whatever task you have in
mind for them. Experiments are tools in the same way. We just need to
decide what "population" it is that we want to model, and that depends
on what we're studying. A corpus that is representative of the language
encountered by the average Wall Street Journal reader (for example) will
not match up well with the reaction times of the average American
college sophomore (for example).

Marc's strategies cast an interesting light on corpus design, but it is
reaching to interpret that as an overall judgment of the "quality" of
one corpus or another.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com