[Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus is

Marc Brysbaert Marc.Brysbaert at UGent.be
Thu Jan 23 19:34:08 UTC 2014

Dear Angus,

I fully agree with you that validation on the basis of lexical
decision data is only one criterion and that this criterion is more
important for psycholinguists like me, interested in word recognition,
than for other researchers. For instance, I can imagine that if one is
interested in language variation film subtitles might be a nightmare
(though this in itself may be an interesting research question).

As for the reliance on the English Lexicon Project, I agree with you.
This is why we have invested heavily in the British Lexicon Project,
the French Lexicon Project, and the Dutch Lexicon Projects I and II. I
can reassure you: for each language we tested, the subtitle
frequencies did best. For English it also does way better than the
Google frequencies, as I have shown in a Frontiers article. Probably
the most decisive evidence for me was the finding that British
subtitle frequencies did better than the BNC frequencies.

Again, however, this is only one criterion (albeit an important one
for me). It will be interesting to see how well subtitle corpora do
for other criteria.

Returning to the original question, I would be happy with other
criteria brought forward about how representative a corpus is for a
particular task/register.

All the best, marc