[Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus is

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Mon Jan 27 08:51:08 UTC 2014

On 27/01/2014 01:33, Angus Grieve-Smith wrote:
>     Right.  Here's what I don't get: Why hasn't anyone followed even a
> single speaker around, let alone a representative sample, to see what
> proportion of registers and genres they're exposed to on a daily
> basis?  Or has this been done?

I think the Czech National Corpus people did (something like) that for
both written and spoken Czech, in order to help them build up their
corpus. Anyone from Prague able to confirm that?

Cheers -- Mike

--
Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***
Aston University and Lexical Analysis Software Ltd.
mike at lexically.net
www.lexically.net