[Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus is

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 10:18:30 UTC 2014

--------------------------
Message: 1
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:20:51 +0000
From: "Krishnamurthy, Ramesh" <r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk>
Subject: [Corpora-List] Testing how representative a particular corpus
        is
To: "mortem.dei at gmail.com" <mortem.dei at gmail.com>
Cc: "corpora at uib.no" <corpora at uib.no>
Hi Matías
#1 whenever we have no clue about how large the population is (eg 'spoken language'),
or how it is composed, it is impossible to discuss how representative a sample (corpus) is
#2 on the whole, it is best to describe the corpus as accurately as possible,
and initially make statements only about the corpus data; we can then suggest
that some of the findings might be more generally valid, with specific indicators
about the limitations of one's own corpus, known before the research, and others
that may have come to light during the research
#3 we can compare our findings with other samples/corpora, and see which features
are confirmed in similar samples, and which are found in different/larger/broader samples, and try
again to see if a statement can be at all extended
#4 all spoken data corpora are likely to contain some elements/categories of elements
common to all spoken language (in order to use the term 'spoken' for both),
but this is unlikely to be true the other way round...
#5 I know www.kilgarriff.co.uk/Publications/2001-K-CompCorpIJCL.pdf?<http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/Publications/2001-K-CompCorpIJCL.pdf?>
compares corpora in general... but don't know of any test criteria or procedures,
and would revert to impossibility in terms of 'representativeness' (#1)
hope this helps
ramesh

Message: 7