[Corpora] [Corpora-List] Earn your PhD at the University of Texas at Austin!

Matt Lease ml at ischool.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 12 18:52:48 UTC 2014

The University of Texas at Austin invites applications from talented and
energetic prospective students wanting to help shape the future of
research in natural language processing and its applications. UT Austin
is one of the premier research universities in the US and is located in
one of the country's sunniest and most vibrant cities in which to live
and work, Austin.

     http://ir.ischool.utexas.edu/gradstudy.html

I have openings in my own lab to fully-support new students particularly
interested in related research in human computation / crowdsourcing
and/or information retrieval.

     http://ir.ischool.utexas.edu/

My colleague Byron Wallace (also both iSchool and CS-affiliated) is also
doing great work in data mining, active learning, natural language
processing, and evidence based medicine.

      http://byron.ischool.utexas.edu

and there is a great group of faculty at UT:

	http://www.utcompling.com/

PhD Applications for our School of Information (iSchool), ranked 6th
nationally, are due ***December 15th***.

     https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/admissions/phd

While we do not guarantee consideration of late applications, the closer
to the deadline an application is received, the greater the likelihood
that it will be considered.

If you have never heard about iSchools before, read more about them:

     http://ischools.org/about/

The UT Austin School of Information is committed to making a difference
in the world by designing information management solutions that are
accessible, useful, usable, and sustainable. To increase scientific
understanding of the role and impact of information in all human
endeavors, we study problems and develop solutions for better
information design, management, organization, preservation, and retrieval.

Our curriculum allows individual programs of study to be tailored to
meet each student's diverse research interests, preparing all students
to become high quality, high-impact researchers in their targeted areas
of interest.

I came to the UT Austin iSchool with a PhD in Computer Science and have
found it to be a great place to be.  iSchools have plenty of computing
research opportunities (and more) to offer!

In comparison to the iSchool, the CS department tends to have even more
applicants, so CS admissions tends to be even more competitive. It's
okay to apply to both iSchool and CS programs; each has its own separate
admissions process, as well as beautiful new facilities in which to work
and study.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/graduate-program/prospective-students

UT Austin uses a centralized application process, which means I do not
get to decide whether or not to accept a given applicant. The admissions
committee will review all applications and make a holistic evaluation of
each applicant's overall potential for excellence in research.

We look forward to receiving your application and hope you will be able
to join us at UT Austin next Fall!

--
Matt Lease
Assistant Professor