[Corpora-List] Copyright question again

Damir Cavar dcavar at me.com
Tue Jan 6 04:00:23 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I know, this question has been addressed a lot, but, just to get an
update on this issue and your expert opinion:

If I am accessing the internet from the US, as I am right now, and I
decide to generate N-gram-based language models by exploiting the web as
a corpus and publish the word-lists and frequency profiles openly on my
homepage, sell them even, change or manipulate them, and reuse them in
various ways, would this be

a. ok as fair-use for research only, excluding commercial use
b. legal in general, independent of my research interests
c. legal only in some countries (so, my models would be illegal in some
others)

What is the current status of the web as a corpus and extracted language
models from the legal perspective in the US and globally?

If I do the same now with open-access journals and extract frequency
profiles of tokens for a certain research domain, would it be the same?
It I use Google Books? Or even some news website?

Is the extraction of a language model, maybe a domain specific frequency
profile a copyright infringement per se? The text cannot be
reconstructed, the content is not visible, the authors style neither, in
particular not, if the corpus is larger etc.

Thanks!

Damir

--
Damir Cavar