[Corpora-List] Copyright question again

Adam Kilgarriff adam.kilgarriff at sketchengine.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 05:30:07 UTC 2015

Dear Damir,

a few thoughts:

In an innocent world view, the law says what is allowed and what is not.
The more I see of how the legal profession works, the clearer it is that
it's all political, in the sense that the judgements that build the case
law (at least in UK) are made based on how well the lawyers played the
game, how much money was involved, who had a sniff of how much money they
might make.

It's not about what is legal (which is always, in this area,
underspecified), it is about risk management.

If no-one sees a money-making opportunity, there is very little legal risk
since no-one will take you to court.
If you're a big organisation, you can always be taken to court and sued for
large sums.  This has had horrible consequences for the JISC group at
ISPRA: they are part of the EU, a very large organisation, and have had
their work restricted by ambulance-chasing lawyers with a glint in their
eyes for winning plump settlements.

What you might be willing to do personally - given that you are probably,
not, as an individual, worth suing, and your motivation for doing
interesting work is high - is very different to what a (probably) rich
organisation like your university might be willing to do.  If you want to
do something, don't ask! (Specially not the university lawyers.  You'll
probably never get an answer - even more frustrating than a simple 'no'.)

Sorry if that is not very helpful

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at sketchengine.co.uk
Director                                    Lexical Computing Ltd
<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>
Visiting Research Fellow                 University of Leeds
<http://leeds.ac.uk/>
*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>
 and      SKELL <http://skell.sketchengine.co.uk/>