CRITICS: Affirmative Action

Administra postmast at discur.filo.uba.ar
Mon Jul 24 16:54:19 UTC 1995

HARD TO BELIEVE: THE END OF THE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

>The following is a brief report on the Thursday Regents
meeting, followed by >a statement by UC President Jack W.
Peltason and a joint statement by Peltason and the nine
UC chancellors.

             >July 21, 1995

University & External Relations
UC Office of the President

>REGENTS VOTE ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
>
>The University of California Board of Regents voted Thursday
to end the use of ethnicity and gender in student admissions
and to use criteria related to economic and social need.

At a meeting attended by 800 members of the public and about
300 members of the press,  the board voted 14-10, with one
abstention, in favor of the new policy.  During 12 hours of
public comment and debate, about 30 public officials and about
30 members of the public -- including the Rev. Jesse
Jackson, Assemblyman Willie Brown Jr. and Gov. Pete Wilson --
spoke on>affirmative action.

UC President Jack W. Peltason, who had urged support for
affirmative action policies, said he had hoped for a different
outcome. "I want to ask the members of the University
community, whatever your views on the matter,
>to keep in mind that our goal has not changed,"  he told the
press after the vote at UC San Francisco. "The only thing that
has changed is the means we can take to achieve our goal.
Obviously, our outreach programs now have more significance
than ever, and I welcome the board's support for expanding and
>improving those efforts.
>
>"I know how strongly many of you feel about this issue. But I
remind us that we are an academic community and our way of
dealing with differences is through reason, discussion and
respect for each others' views. I urge all of us to keep those
values in mind as we work our way through the adjustments
the university will need to make as a result of today's
action."

>In a separate 15-10 vote, Regents also eliminated the use of
ethnicity and >gender in UC's hiring and business practices.
The policy will take effect in January 1996.

>The new policy regarding admissions is to take effect January
1997.

>The two resolutions approved by Regents were proposed by
Regent Ward Connerly.

>The resolution regarding admissions calls for:
>
>* The UC president to appoint a task force with
representatives of the business community, the university,
other segments of education and outreach organizations.  This
task force will develop proposals for new directions
and increased funding for UC to increase the eligibility rate
of students who demonstrate economic or social need.

>* The president to confer with the Academic Senate to develop
supplemental admissions criteria related to economic need or
social environment including an "abusive or otherwise
dysfunctional home or a neighborhood of unwholesome
or anti-social influences."

>* By Jan. 1, 1997, not less than 50 percent and not more than
75 percent of any entering class on any campus shall be
admitted solely on the basis of academic achievement.

In a joint statement, Peltason and the nine UC chancellors
said: "This will unfortunately make it more difficult for our
campuses to achieve the diversity that is essential for the
future excellence of the university and the stability and
welfare of our society. However, we pledge to continue our
efforts to serve all populations in California, working within
the new guidelines of economic and social disadvantage, and in
conformance with state and federal mandates.

>"We applaud the proposal to enhance outreach as a means of
increasing the number of ethnic minority students eligible to
enroll in the University.  We pledge to retain those elements
of affirmative action that have proven of such great value to
our institution, including open employment searches.

>"We shall use every means available to us to accelerate our
pursuit of the twin goals of excellence and diversity."

>Regents voting in favor of the admissions resolution were
Clair W. Burgener, Glenn Campbell, Frank W. Clark Jr.,
Connerly, John G. Davies, Tirso del Junco, S. Sue Johnson,
Meredith J. Khachigian, Leo S. Kolligian, Howard H. Leach,
David S. Lee, S. Stephen Nakashima, Dean A. Watkins and
Gov. Wilson.

>Those voting against the admissions resolution were Roy T.
Brophy, alumni Regent Ralph C. Carmona, Lt. Gov. Gray Davis,
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Delaine Eastin,
student Regent Edward P. Gomez, Alice J. Gonzales, alumni
Regent Judith W. Levin, Peltason and Tom Sayles.

>William T. Bagley abstained.
Regents voting in favor of the resolution regarding business
and hiring were Burgener, Campbell, Clark, Connerly, Davies,
del Junco, Johnson, Khachigian, Kolligian, Leach, Lee, Montoya,
Nakashima, Watkins and Wilson.

Those voting against the resolution were Bagley, Brophy,
Carmona, Davis, Eastin, Gomez, Gonzales, Levin, Peltason and
Sayles.

>ATTACHED ARE STATEMENTS BY UC PRESIDENT JACK W. PELTASON AND
UC CHANCELLORS:

>President Jack W. Peltason:
>
>Needless to say, I had hoped for a different outcome on this
vote.  So did many others.  Now that the board has acted,
however, we must be guided by the policies it has adopted.  I
will immediately seek consultation about the best way to do so.

I want to ask the members of the University community, whatever
your views on the matter, to keep in mind that our goal has not
changed.  The only thing that has changed is the means we can
take to achieve our goal.
Obviously, our outreach programs now have more significance
than ever, and I welcome the board's support for expanding and
improving those efforts.

>The recommendations approved today take effect in January
1996, in the case of our employment programs, and in January
1997 in the case of our admissions programs.  This gives us
time to plan for what needs to be done to continue the
University's 30-year commitment to creating a diverse
community.

>I know how strongly many of you feel about this issue.  But I
remind us that we are an academic community and our way of
dealing with differences is through reason, discussion and
respect for each others' views. I urge all of us to keep those
values in mind as we work our way through the adjustments the
University will need to make as a result of today's action.

>Joint Statement by Peltason and UC Chancellors:
>
>A diverse student population is an essential component of a
quality educational environment.  Within the University of
California, we have been governed by a 1988 Regental policy
which mandates that we enroll a student population that
encompasses the cultural diversity of the state of
California. That policy has served the University and the state
well, and we remain firmly committed to the principles it
embodies.

>The action of the Board of Regents at its July 20, 1995
meeting eliminates the use of race, ethnicity and gender as
supplemental criteria in the admissions process.  This will
unfortunately make it more difficult for our campuses to
achieve the diversity that is essential for the future
excellence of the University and the stability and welfare of
our society.
However, we pledge to continue our efforts to serve all
populations in California, working within the new guidelines of
economic and social disadvantage, and in conformance with state
and federal mandates.

>We applaud the proposal to enhance outreach as a means of
increasing the number of ethnic minority students eligible to
enroll in the University.  We pledge to retain those elements
of affirmative action that have proven of such great value to
our institution, including open employment searches.

>We shall use every means available to us to accelerate our
pursuit of the twin goals of excellence and diversity.

Dra. Beatriz R. Lavandera
Maria Laura Pardo
postmaster at discur.filo.uba.ar
CRITICS-ARGENTINA: critics at ccc.uba.ar