CRITICS: Version 2 D&S Editorial (fwd)

Teun A. van Dijk teun at let.uva.nl
Mon Apr 15 12:18:30 UTC 1996

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:54:59 MET-1MEST
From: Ruth Wodak <RUTH at ling.univie.ac.at>
To: owner-critics-l at uva.nl
Subject: Re: CRITICS: Version 2 D&S Editorial

In Austria, the laws restricting immigration have become much more
severe as well, due to the racist propaganda of the very Ricght which
has over 20% (sic!) of the votes. The media encourage this policy,
and also the leader of the so-called Freedom Party is very well
presented in the media and is allowed very much space. I also agree
with Jim Martin that our analyses could concentrate and focus on the
interpretation of images, and show how different interpretations are
produced and supported by certain elites. My problem is always that
only scholars who are on our side read the stuff we are doing. How
can we be heard by others, how can we transcend this borders and
limits of our discipline? Just another analysis does not make much
sense, I find!
Ruth Wodak