CRITICS: Metaphor

Tom Huckin Thomas.Huckin at m.cc.utah.edu
Sat Feb 22 19:52:21 UTC 1997

Does anyone know of any work that's been done applying Lakoff and Johnson's
approach to metaphor (in METAPHORS WE LIVE BY) to other languages?  I don't
mean a translation of their book but rather an effort to see if there exist
sets of everyday metaphors (in Spanish, French, German, or other language)
that can be aligned with certain cultural perspectives.

I've been using the book in my CDA course at the U. of Utah for several
years now, and this question is one that I keep wondering about.

Tom Huckin