CRITICS-L: New Book

M.HUSSAIN mustafa.hussain at get2net.dk
Wed Aug 5 22:13:18 UTC 1998

Dear Memebers of the List,
May I take your attention to a recently published Ph.D. thesis presented at

Aarhus Univ. of Denmark by a scholar with immigrant back-ground, Bülent
DIKEN:
STRANGERS, AMBIVALENCE and SOCIAL THEORY.
Personally, I have not seen so far such a master piece of a scholarly
craftsmanship
on the topic of migration by any Danish scholar who has ever touched this
subject.
What strikes me most is the fact that the Danes are not talking and
debating
about the book when they are talking at all levels, through all the
channels, and
all the times about the problems "they" have with their immigrants.
Zygmunt Bauman (Univ. of Leeds) has remarked:
"Diken handles this excruciantingly difficult subject in a masterful way,
bringing together a deep insight into the plight of the migrants and
everything which contemporary theory may offer to illuminate it."
Diken offers a profound analysis of the institutional racism of the present
days' Danish society ( tribe?) in the light of the most celebrated social
and sociological theories of our time - and challenges them. (publisher:
Ashgate, Aldershot (1998).
Best Regards, mustafa.hussain at get2net.dk