Hundred subscribers...

Teun A. van Dijk teun at HUM.UVA.NL
Thu Jan 20 15:03:59 UTC 2000

Dear friends,

Though VERY late, let me begin by wishing you a happy and successful
2000!

Although compared to Really Big Lists, we are really Very Small, I am
happy to let you know that I just registered the 100th subscriber to our
list. Now we are "monitored" by the LINGUIST list, we get many more
applications to join, but as you know I am unable to manage a huge, open
list, so for the moment I limit access to those researchers who are
actively engaged in (and publishing in) any form of critical analysis of
text or talk (including PhD students).

Let me also invite those who have not done so already to briefly
introduce themselves to the other list members, and ALL members to make
use of this resource to, e.g.,

-- Announce the publication of a recent book
-- Make available other resources (bibliographies, etc)
-- Point to web-sites that may be particularly interesting for many of
us
-- Ask for assistance and cooperation
-- Post brief messages that contribute to an important debate
etc.

As I have said before: Few of us would welcome dozens of CRITICS-L
messages each day in their mailboxes, so I value a certain hesitation to
use the list as a common chat-box. But a list to which virtually nobody
contributes any messages might be the other extreme. We may assume that
people in CDA have *something* to say, and something to offer to the
others....

Best wishes

Teun

----------

Teun A. van Dijk
University of Amsterdam
Program of Discourse Studies

1999-2000:

Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Institut Universitari de Lingüística Aplicada (IULA)
La Rambla 32
08002 Barcelona, Spain

Phone: +34-93-272.1200 (home/casa)
FAX:   +34-93-272.0106 (home/casa)