introduction

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at TAMU.EDU
Thu Jan 20 16:48:35 UTC 2000

an assistant professor of linguistics and discourse studies at Texas A&M
University. I was the first faculty member hired explicitly to do discourse
studies at A&M as part of the department's new Discourse Studies Ph.D.
Concentration. Our definition of discourse studies is quite broad; it
combines humanities and social science approaches from linguistics,
rhetoric, cultural studies, and critical theory.

I specialize in language, gender, and racial identity; my most recent
publication is the co-edited volume Reinventing Identities: The Gendered
Self in Discourse (Oxford University Press, 1999). I'm currently working on
a book on language, youth, and whiteness.

A couple of web sites that I maintain (not very well at present, I'm
afraid, but I'm hoping to update them soon) may be of interest:

The Language and Gender Page

http://www-english.tamu.edu/pers/fac/bucholtz/lng/

The Discourse Studies Page (Discourse Studies at Texas A&M and beyond;
parts are under construction)

http://www-english.tamu.edu/ds/

I'm looking forward to discussions on the list.

Mary

Mary Bucholtz
Assistant Professor of Linguistics and Discourse Studies
Department of English
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4227

bucholtz at tamu.edu