Language of imperialist designs

mustafa hussain mustafa.hussain at GET2NET.DK
Tue Dec 16 12:14:47 UTC 2003

Dear All,

Two texts from two different historical junctures, e.g. imperialism, neo-imperialism, of invasion of Iraq ( source: Asiapease and the addressee below) might appeal to your interests in the ongoing illegal occupation of Iraq and sufferings of its civilian population.

Best Regards and Greetings for the Season !

Mustafa Hussain /DK

1) 1917 AD

" Our armies do not come into your cities and lands as conquerors or enemies, but as liberators. ... It is [not] the wish of [our] government to impose upon you alien institutions. ... [It is our wish] that you should prosper even as in the past, when your lands were fertile, when your ancestors gave to the world literature, science, and art, and when Baghdad city was one of the wonders of the world.

 ... It is [our] hope that the aspirations of your philosophers and writers shall be realized and that once again the people of Baghdad shall flourish, enjoying their wealth and substance under institutions  which are in consonance with their sacred laws and their racial ideals." -- General F. S. Maude to the people of Mesopotamia, March 19, 1917.

2) 2003 AD

" The government of Iraq, and the future of your country, will soon belong to you. ... We will end a brutal regime ... so that Iraqis can live in security. We will respect your great religious traditions, whose principles of equality and compassion are essential to Iraq's future. We will help you build a peaceful and representative  government that protects the rights of all citizens. And then our military forces will leave. Iraq will go forward as a unified, independent, and sovereign nation that has regained a respected place in the world. You are a good and gifted people -- the heirs of a great civilization that contributes to all humanity." -- President George W. ( Bush to the people of Iraq, April 4, 2003).

Virinder S Kalra

xtn 2275

Department of Sociology

The Roscoe Building Room 4.4a