From Gulf to Gulf

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Sat Sep 3 13:14:27 UTC 2005

You're very welcome, Gabriella, but there's no need to be sarcastic -- for
one thing, you didn't need to be enlightened.  I said "particularly US
scholars" because we were talking about a tragedy in the USA. You may
direct your logical anger somewhere else.

I just tried to say that those speeches by African-American leaders were
really powerful, and hence conveniently backgrounded by CNN. And I wasn't
just talking about the material *conditions*, but about what "our" position
is and what to do about it, like class privileges. It is easy to be
academically critical with a 100,000 $ yearly salary in the USA (or 80,000,
or whatever -- anything higher than the 11,000 $ average for lower classes
in New Orleans) or with a 30,000 euro salary in Spain, and with many more
privileges that this encompasses. I think we should demand to have our
salaries lowered.

I don't need to defend my privileged position. If others do, it's their
choice. To me, the logical, ultimate consequence of critical analysis is
class suicide. Or class euthanasia, if you wish. I doubt intellectual
classes are willing to do this, so we look for all sorts of excuses.

Sorry for again thinking aloud.

-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es