genre and register

Jim Martin jmartin at MAIL.USYD.EDU.AU
Wed Jul 4 22:53:05 UTC 2007

Hi all

There is so much to consider... let's start with this...

Some of us are pursuing a model in which a deep model of perception
(including memory etc), following Edelman's theory of neural group
selection, would cooperate with a deep model of semiosis (including
languaage and other modalities of communication), which would make the
mind redundant.

This is not saying that brains don't exist; that's for Edelman's TNGS to
sort out. But it is suggesting that as his work develops and our work on
semiosis develops, we won't need a concept of mind mediating between the
two.

Edelman has two recent popularisations of his work (google Amazon), but
its good to start with the earlier Bright Air, Brilliant Fire. Halliday
discusses the relation of social semiotics to TNGS in Vol 3 of his
collected works, On Language and Linguistics, Continuum ('Language in
relation to the evolution of human consciousness').

Halliday & Matthiessen, Construing Experience through Meaning
(Continuum), outline in some detail how concepts can be reconceived as
meanings, so that cognitive and social semiotic approaches can be
treated as alternative perspectives on the same phenomena (not in an
additive relation to one another).

So the issue is not whether an SFL model of language and context is
inadequate because its lacks a theory of cognition. The issue is whether
we prefer, for some reasons or others, a tri-partite model including
brain, cognition and semiosis, or a two part model, interfacing brain
with semiosis.

I think the two part model will develop in more interesting ways because
it is easier to relate more directly to the phenomena we are trained to
consider as semioticians (texts) and as neo-Darwinian neuro-biologists
(brains). On my biased reading, the mind is inferred from texts or
brains, and so is harder to ground in what we are trained to analyse.

There are of course lifetimes of argumentation and research by people
far more knowledgeable than me involved in exploring the three part and
two part models.

Jim