genre and register

Tahir Wood twood at UWC.AC.ZA
Thu Jul 5 14:23:34 UTC 2007

>>> Jim Martin <jmartin at MAIL.USYD.EDU.AU> 07/05/07 12:53 AM >>>
I think the two part model will develop in more interesting ways
because
it is easier to relate more directly to the phenomena we are trained to

consider

But will it have any place for 'phenomena' at all? And if so why? Are
phenomena, such as a shape perceived against a background,  effects of
brains or of texts or of some combination of the two? Whichever the case
may be a theory would be very poor if it did not include phenomena as a
level of description, in favour of descriptions only of brains and of
texts. It would be rather like saying that once one has identified atoms
and molecules, the category of physical objects becomes redundant.
Cheers
Tahir