Proposition query

Tahir Wood twood at UWC.AC.ZA
Mon Jan 26 07:20:02 UTC 2009

Thanks, I'm very interested in this too. I am interested, as it turns
out though, in distinguishing firmly between predication and
proposition. For example, it seems to me that lexical choices are
inherent in predication and not necessarily in the proposition. In fact
in my understanding of the proposition it is not tied to a particular
language at all. To me this is a 'cognitivist' notion of the
proposition, yet it seems to run counter to recent cognitivist
approaches (and many other linguistic approaches) that are suspicious of
'depth' notions of meaning. Maybe I should put this on the Cogling list
and see if it stirs up something.
Tahir

>>> "Chilton, Paul" <p.chilton at lancaster.ac.uk> 01/23/09 6:28 PM >>>
Interesting question.

You might be interested in the neuro-anatomical hypothesis for the
cognitive origin of predicate-argument structure in

The neural basis of predicate-argument structure. James R. Hurford.
Behavioral and Brain Sciences , Volume 26, Issue 03, June 2003, pp
261-283 ...

Cheers!

Paul