Gender Summit Manifesto for Research and Innovation - over 1500 signatories since 19 December 2011 (will you sign too?)

Wodak, Ruth r.wodak at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Feb 5 10:04:54 UTC 2012

FYI – please distribute widely!
From: Elizabeth Pollitzer [mailto:elizabeth at portiaweb.org.uk]
Sent: 04 February 2012 22:50
Subject: Gender Summit Manifesto for Research and Innovation - over 1500 signatories since 19 December 2011 (will you sign too?)

Dear Esteemed Colleagues,

I write from the FP7 project, genSET (http://www.genderoinscience.org) to bring to your attention the policy Manifesto for Action on the Gender Dimension in Research and Innovation, which you can read and sign at  http://bit.ly/rLS7cn (I attach the text as well). The Manifesto was presented to the EC Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science, Maire Geoghegan-Quinn on December 16th.

More than 1500 scientists from across Europe and beyond have added their names since 19 December and I very much hope that you will join them.  The timing is important because right now  policy makers at national and EU level are debating the framework for HORIZON 2020.   Included in the framework proposal are explicit requirements for addressing gender issues in research content, cultures and participation.  Through the Manifesto we can persuade policy makers that scientists support these objectives.

The Manifesto is the product of the 1st European Gender Summit (http://www.gender-summit.eu), which took place on 8-9 November 2011 in Brussels, under the patronage of the Polish EU Presidency, the EC, and the European Parliament.  The event attracted 410 participants and 70 speakers.  It distills 25 years of solid gender research evidence; extensive, recent dialogue between the scientists, gender research scholars and policy makers; and several public consultation and feedback efforts. It is envisaged as a work in progress, driven by a vision that it will be eventually made redundant through the efforts made to address each of its recommended actions.  The end goal is to stop gender being an ‘issue’ and turn it into a stimulus for scientific curiosity and new markets for scientific knowledge.
We would be most grateful for your support of this initiative and for your help to encourage others in your networks to sign it as well.
kindest regards
Elizabeth Pollitzer

Dr Elizabeth Pollitzer
Director
Portia Ltd (genSET lead and coordinating partner)
www.genderinscience.org<http://www.genderinscience.org/> (genSET, FP7 SiS funded project)
www.gender-summit.eu<http://www.gender-summit.eu/>
Tel +44 207 367 5348