DISCOURS Digest - 10 Apr 1999 to 11 Apr 1999

Scott Kiesling kiesling at MAIL.USYD.EDU.AU
Mon Apr 12 04:11:42 UTC 1999

Re: Macro and Micro:

Lately I've been using Silverstein's orders of indexicality in a similar
way as Holly defines macro and micro. These orders are (at least) 2, as I
understand it: (1) linguistic forms which index aspects of current,
immediate context (roughly micro) (2) forms which index aspects of
nonpresent and more widely, culturally-available context (roughly macro).
Silverstein seems to use micro- and macro- context to differentiate these
levels in his SALSA contribution (1995, SALSA III, Texas Linguistic Forum
#36, UTexas Ling Dept.). Anyway, I like to use the indexical order terms
for a number of reasons, but it especially avoids miscommunication over
the terms macro and micro.

Scott

  Scott Fabius Kiesling

  kiesling at mail.usyd.edu.au
  http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~kiesling/skpage.html

  Department of Linguistics
  University of Sydney
  Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
  +61 2 9351 7518
  Fax: +61 2 9351 7572

	"Money can't buy you back your time."  -Tom Pirozzoli
	"I am a material girl, living in a material world." -Madonna
	"It's not hard to make a lot of money, if that's all
		you want to do."  -"Citizen Kane"