On Metaphor as Evaluative Modality

eubanks philip tb0pee1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Aug 18 18:31:54 UTC 1999

 >(Cohen, 1979), etc. However, I have seen very few studies (Averill, 1990) of
 >metaphor as an evaluative modality, i.e. as an instantiation of speaker
 >attitude. Could anybody direct me to any relevant  literature? Your
 >collaboration is mostly valued. Thank you in advance.

 >Zouhair Maalej,

I have an article forthcoming that may be pertinent.  It reports on a
series of focus groups that revealed personal and cultural
attitudes toward trade metaphors such as TRADE IS WAR, MARKETS ARE
CONTAINERS, TRADE IS A JOURNEY, and so on.

Eubanks, Philip.  "The Story of Conceptual Metaphor: What Motivates
Metaphoric Mappings?"  Poetics Today 20:3 (Fall 1999).

Phil Eubanks

Philip Eubanks
Assistant Professor
Northern Illinois University