summary re: "force"

Christian Kjaer Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Mon Aug 23 15:49:55 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Bloor <T.Bloor at ASTON.AC.UK>
To: <DISCOURS at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 06, 1999 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: summary re: "force"

> Christian
> Thanks for collecting a very useful set of refs.
>
> Your ref to 'Les (sic) Sinclair' should read 'John Sinclair'
> (though I can't recall anything on your topic in that particular work and
> it seems an unlikely source)

Thanks for the correction.  I actually found this out when trying to get the
book someone else had recommended.  They recommender actually told me it was
"John," but when I tried to track it down (in Amazon.com, I think) my source
said "Les" (and also had an additional word in the title).  My Interlibrary
loan office discovered and corrected the mistake themselves.  (Or, maybe
there is such a book by Les Sinclair out there, too?)  In any event, you're
right.  There's little there that speaks to force.  It was recommended by
someone whose other suggestions I already knew were only tangentially
helpful, so I left them off the summary list.

> You might add the following:
>
> Cohen L J 1964 'Do illocutionary forces exist?' _Philosophical Quarterly_,
> XIV No 55 (repr. in Rosenberg J F & Travis C 1971 -Readings in the
> Philosophy of Language_ Prentice-Hall) (attacks the notion of IF as
> distinct from 'meaning')
>
> There is some brief and intermittent discussion in:
>
> Kempson R T 1975 _Presupposition and the Delimitation of Semantics_ CUP
> (especially pp 41-42)
>
> In his excellent explication of IF,  Steve Levinson 1983 (_Pragmatics_
CUP)
> cites Hare R M (i) 1952 _The Language of Morals_ Clarendon  (ii) 1970
> 'Meaning and speech acts' _Philosophical Review_ 79, 3-324).

Thanks, Thomas!  The first paper sounds especially promissing.

Christian
Dr. Christian K. Nelson
Department of Communication
University of Massachusetts-Amherst