Introduction

Chaudhary, Mark Mark.Chaudhary at WESTGROUP.COM
Wed Feb 3 16:06:37 UTC 1999

		Er.....I almost hate to break in on this absorbing exchange
of ideas with a mere introduction, but here it is anyway.

		I received my undergraduate degree in Computer Information
Systems this past June from Drexel University in Philadelphia. I've since
moved to Minnesota where I work as a software engineer. I have virtually no
formal grounding in the subject of this list nor am I familiar with past
methods and writings some of you refer to. As a result a lot of the notions
being bandied about seem a touch high flown and many of them escape me
almost entirely.

		I am however giving serious thought to what study might
constitute time well spent, as I address the notion of graduate study. I am
fascinated by speech, the act of communication and the currents that lie
below the surface. In particular, I would at some point like to focus in on
the idea of meaning/intent conveyed through other channels beneath the level
of words. I'm actually pretty kicked with the notion of identifying and
harnessing these other methods of communication and using them to facilitate
more reliable and effective interfaces with machines. I'm also tickled by
the fancy that if we could get those worked out, we might also make progress
on the path to making "those durn machines" appear (at least) to think a
little more like us.

		Regards,
		Mark

		Mark Chaudhary