Introduction

Vershawn Ashanti Young VYoung7981 at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 8 04:03:49 UTC 1999

Hello, Susan, and to All

I am Vershawn Ashanti Young.  I am a PhD student in Literature at University
of Illinois at Chicago.  I was a Comp and Rhet major until a week ago.  The
reason for my change is relevant to what is discribed as being one of the
purpose of this list.  I am interested in looking at the African American
community (especially the social and politics areas) and it is changed by and
continually constructed by literature.  In particular I am interested in how
social and political changes are manifested in the rhetoric of the people as
well as the writers.

  I too, like Susan, have been greatly influenced by the work of Kenneth
Burke.  I believe that you can't separate the person from the rhetoric, that
we are always our public self and private self.  And I believe those selves
operate when writer's write (literature) as well as when rhetors perform
(writing acts or speech acts).

So, I too am delighted to participate in this forum, as it is an
interdisciplinary forum.  So lets discourse.

Vershawn